The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) recommends that an Annual Physical Therapy Visit be available to individuals of all ages. To support therapists in meeting this recommendation, the APTA in collaboration with Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy has developed the Annual Physical Therapy Visit: Pediatric Template.
Visit the APTA webpage for details about the Annual Physical Therapy Visit for individuals of all ages
This template incorporates aspects of the Bright Futures Guidelines, the Guide to Physical Therapy Practice 3.0, and the Movement Screen.
The purpose of the Annual Physical Therapy Visit is to engage physical therapists and families in assessing and monitoring the status of ALL children on a yearly regular basis and shifting the paradigm of physical therapy care to one of prevention and monitoring across the lifespan. By using the Annual Physical Therapy Visit Pediatric Template, pediatric physical therapists can:
- Collect consistent baseline measures and updated information on the function and health of the child's movement system
- Use evidence-based assessments and screening to determine the need for further evaluation/physical therapy intervention
- Coach regarding the benefit of movement and healthy behaviors to support wellness
- Identify children with risk factors that might impact mobility and participation in age-appropriate activities
- Encourage independence in daily activities and participation in family/community life
- Collaborate with medical professionals and community agencies to provide optimal and coordinated care to the child and family
|Download Frequently Asked Questions Document||Resources Document for Pediatric PTs Using the Template|
|1/19/2021 Pediatric Physical Therapy Annual Checkup: The Time Is Now|