The purpose of the Neonatology SIG shall be to provide forums where Section and Association members may confer, meet, and promote high standards of practice for Families and infants at high-risk for developmental disabilities in neonatal and Outpatient settings.
Neonatology SIG News
APPT Proposed Bylaw Revisions
Elections are Open!
Elections for the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy (APPT) are held each fall for those whose 3-year terms are coming to an end. Board members may be elected to one or two 3-year terms. PT and PTA members of APPT (who are members as of the date that materials are submitted for the election) may vote; members without e-mail addresses on file with APTA will be mailed a paper ballot. Online voting will close November 15, 2018. Ensue that your voice is heard by voting for the candidate of your choice!
Online voting will be available from September 20, 2018 @ 12:00 AM until November 15, 2018 @ 11:59 PM.
Future of Physical Therapy - Interviews by Shirley Sahrmann PT, PhD, FAPTA and Susan Effgen, PT, PhD, FAPTA
Interviews by Shirley Sahrmann PT, PhD, FAPTA and Susan Effgen, PT, PhD, FAPTA
Background: In 1988, the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy (then the Section on Pediatrics) made a motion to create a peer-reviewed journal. Academy leaders approached publisher Williams & Wilkins (now Wolters Kluwer) with a proposal to jointly form a journal, with the Academy providing editorial expertise and a subscription base and WK taking the financial risk and handling the production. In return, WK owned the title Pediatric Physical Therapy and had full copyright on all published content. During contract renegotiations in 2002, the Academy requested and was granted co-ownership of copyright for journal articles.
ACE SIG Newsletters
Neonatology SIG Resources
- Neonatal Fellowship programs are in development. If you are interested in more information about these 6-12 month programs to prepare you for clinical practice in the NICU please contact the programs directly.
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - Physical Therapy Neonatology Fellowship Program
- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions is Partnering with Seattle Children's Hospital (Seattle, WA) contact Jane Sweeney for more information.
- Nationwide Children's Hospital in collaboration with West Virginia University - Neonatal Physical Therapy Fellowship Program. Contact Kimberley Scott for more information.
- Neonatology Guidelines can be found in Pediatric Physical Therapy - APPT Members Access to PPTJ
- Social Media of Interest to SIG Members
- Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy Annual Conference (APPTAC) has a track sponsored by the NN SIG each year
- The Dr. Jane Sweeney Neonatology Lectureship is presented by a scholar in the field of neonatal medicine or development each year at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting.
- Neonatal Didactic Training Resource List - The NN SIG has developed a resource lists for individuals who are interested in learning about physical therapy practice with neonates. This resource lists is a great place to start before working with a mentor in the specialized area of neonatal physical therapy practice.