The purpose of the AADD-SIG is to foster the development of education, research, and practice in physical therapy that focus on the improving service satisfaction, health, quality of life, participation, and activity of adolescents and adults with developmental disabilities, or any chronic childhood disabling condition. Values operational in AADD-SIG include family-centered and person-centered care, self- determination, and dignity.
Adolescents & Adults with Developmental Disabilities SIG News
APPT Proposed Bylaw Revisions
Elections are Open!
Elections for the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy (APPT) are held each fall for those whose 3-year terms are coming to an end. Board members may be elected to one or two 3-year terms. PT and PTA members of APPT (who are members as of the date that materials are submitted for the election) may vote; members without e-mail addresses on file with APTA will be mailed a paper ballot. Online voting will close November 15, 2018. Ensue that your voice is heard by voting for the candidate of your choice!
Online voting will be available from September 20, 2018 @ 12:00 AM until November 15, 2018 @ 11:59 PM.
Future of Physical Therapy - Interviews by Shirley Sahrmann PT, PhD, FAPTA and Susan Effgen, PT, PhD, FAPTA
Interviews by Shirley Sahrmann PT, PhD, FAPTA and Susan Effgen, PT, PhD, FAPTA
Background: In 1988, the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy (then the Section on Pediatrics) made a motion to create a peer-reviewed journal. Academy leaders approached publisher Williams & Wilkins (now Wolters Kluwer) with a proposal to jointly form a journal, with the Academy providing editorial expertise and a subscription base and WK taking the financial risk and handling the production. In return, WK owned the title Pediatric Physical Therapy and had full copyright on all published content. During contract renegotiations in 2002, the Academy requested and was granted co-ownership of copyright for journal articles.
ACE SIG Newsletters
Adolescents & Adults with Developmental Disabilities SIG Resources
- Higher Education for Students with Disabilities
- Cerebral Palsy Research Network
- CP NOW
- The Cerebral Palsy Collaborative
- Fact sheets from AACPDM
- Factsheets and CP Perfect Product from Cerebral Palsy Foundation
- Association of University Centers on Disability and American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: Evidence about Community Living and Participation
- For fact sheets of interest, click here
- Preparing Students for High School
Going to College
- Resources for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
- More information and resources to Online Colleges
Transition to Adulthood
Work and Supports
- Charting the LifeCourse Toollkit
- Employment Opportunities for Individuals with Disabilities
- Career Resources for Americans with Disabilities