Welcome to the Early Intervention Special Interest Group (EI-SIG).
The purpose of the EI-SIG is to provide forums where Section and Association members who have a common interest in providing effective physical therapy services for children with disabilities in early intervention may confer, meet, share resources, and promote high standards of practice.
Early Intervention SIG News
Future of Physical Therapy - Interviews by Shirley Sahrmann PT, PhD, FAPTA and Susan Effgen, PT, PhD, FAPTA
Interviews by Shirley Sahrmann PT, PhD, FAPTA and Susan Effgen, PT, PhD, FAPTA
Background: In 1988, the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy (then the Section on Pediatrics) made a motion to create a peer-reviewed journal. Academy leaders approached publisher Williams & Wilkins (now Wolters Kluwer) with a proposal to jointly form a journal, with the Academy providing editorial expertise and a subscription base and WK taking the financial risk and handling the production. In return, WK owned the title Pediatric Physical Therapy and had full copyright on all published content. During contract renegotiations in 2002, the Academy requested and was granted co-ownership of copyright for journal articles.
ACE SIG Newsletters
Early Intervention SIG Resources
- Importance of Mentorship - APPT Fall 2012 Newsletter Article from EI SIG; by Lisa Chiarello
- Evaluation and Assessment in Early Intervention Article - Fall 2011; by Lisa Chiarello
- Primary Service Provider Panel 2012 - Google+ Hangout with M'Lisa Shelden, Terrie Millard and Trina Puddefoot
- Chiarello L, Effgen SK. Updated competencies for physical therapists working in early intervention. Pediatric Physical Therapy 2006;18(2):148-67.
- Resources for physical therapists in early intervention
- Tummy Time Tools from Children's Health Care of Atlanta
APPT Fact Sheets:
- EI Personal Professional Development Plan Template
- Promoting Your Child's Development: Information Resources for Families of Children with Disabilities
- Early Intervention Physical Therapy: IDEA Part C
- Team-based Service Delivery Approaches in Pediatric Practice
- Natural Environments in Early Intervention Services
- Using a Primary Service Provider Approach to Teaming
For a complete list of Academy on Pediatric Publications and PEDS Store, click here.
Get Involved in the EI SIG!
- Communication and networking
- Continuing education
- Development of recommendations for translating EI competencies into practice