The purpose of the AADD-SIG is to foster the development of education, research, and practice in physical therapy that focus on the improving service satisfaction, health, quality of life, participation, and activity of adolescents and adults with developmental disabilities, or any chronic childhood disabling condition. Values operational in AADD-SIG include family-centered and person-centered care, self- determination, and dignity.
Adolescents & Adults with Developmental Disabilities SIG News
Calling all advocates! We encourage Academy members to pay attention to what is happening in Washington, DC and address any concerns you may have with your members of Congress. Critical votes will occur on Tuesday, January 31st, so TAKE ACTION NOW!
You can use the links below to locate your Representatives or Senators.
- US House of Rep: http://ziplook.house.gov/htbin/findrep?ZIP=15237
- US Senate: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Don’t forget the APTA advocacy resources available to you at the following links
- Physical therapists (PTs) and physical therapist assistants (PTAs)
- work with individuals with chronic childhood conditions in a variety of settings, including early intervention and school settings under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, outpatient settings, and community-based settings.
- have strong interest in cabinet positions and policies that will impact children with disabilities and their families.
- want to ensure children with disabilities and their families have access to the necessary services to promote their development, learning, and participation in life activities
- Emphasize that any candidate considered for the position of Secretary of Education should
- have a strong understanding of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), essential federal legislation that protects the rights of all children to receive a free and appropriate education
- have a strong understanding of the history of this law and the need for a federal mandate (not relinquishing control to states)
- be a strong advocate for IDEA and for services that support the education of all children, including children with special needs
- acknowledge that many children were routinely segregated and denied the basic right to education prior to passage of IDEA
- must fully embrace and support IDEA
- Invite your Senators and Representatives to your facility, so they can better appreciate our roles in healthcare & education.
APPT communicates with Senate Committee reviewing Nominee for Secretary of Education.
The latest SIG newsletter can be found with the other Section newsletters here .
Adolescents & Adults with Developmental Disabilities SIG Resources
- Higher Education for Students with Disabilities
- Cerebral Palsy Research Network
- CP NOW
- The Cerebral Palsy Collaborative
- Fact sheets from AACPDM
- Factsheets and CP Perfect Product from Cerebral Palsy Foundation
- Association of University Centers on Disability and American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: Evidence about Community Living and Participation
- For fact sheets of interest, click here
- Preparing Students for High School
Transition to Adulthood
Work and Supports
- Career Resources for Americans with Disabilities