The Hospital-Based SIG provides opportunities for networking and learning related to the practice of pediatric physical therapy in acute and intensive care, rehab, clinics, and outpatient services (hospital-based and free-standing). Our focus includes education and resources for diagnosis-specific patient management, including health promotion.
The HB-SIG hosts meetings at CSM, programming for SoPAC, and teleconferences twice a year. We share information via the Section on Pediatrics E-News and through emails to our registered members. We welcome Section members to join the Hospital-Based SIG, participate in these activities, and suggest additional ways we can share resources and information.
Hospital-based Physical Therapy SIG News
Please download the HB SIG Newsletter here.
Calling all advocates! We encourage Academy members to pay attention to what is happening in Washington, DC and address any concerns you may have with your members of Congress. Critical votes will occur on Tuesday, January 31st, so TAKE ACTION NOW!
You can use the links below to locate your Representatives or Senators.
- US House of Rep: http://ziplook.house.gov/htbin/findrep?ZIP=15237
- US Senate: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Don’t forget the APTA advocacy resources available to you at the following links
- Physical therapists (PTs) and physical therapist assistants (PTAs)
- work with individuals with chronic childhood conditions in a variety of settings, including early intervention and school settings under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, outpatient settings, and community-based settings.
- have strong interest in cabinet positions and policies that will impact children with disabilities and their families.
- want to ensure children with disabilities and their families have access to the necessary services to promote their development, learning, and participation in life activities
- Emphasize that any candidate considered for the position of Secretary of Education should
- have a strong understanding of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), essential federal legislation that protects the rights of all children to receive a free and appropriate education
- have a strong understanding of the history of this law and the need for a federal mandate (not relinquishing control to states)
- be a strong advocate for IDEA and for services that support the education of all children, including children with special needs
- acknowledge that many children were routinely segregated and denied the basic right to education prior to passage of IDEA
- must fully embrace and support IDEA
- Invite your Senators and Representatives to your facility, so they can better appreciate our roles in healthcare & education.
APPT communicates with Senate Committee reviewing Nominee for Secretary of Education.
Hospital-based Physical Therapy SIG Resources
- 2017 Evaluation Codes for Physical Therapy
- Hypertonia Assessment
- Pediatric vital signs
- Torticollis CPG - Action Plan
- For fact sheets and resources on acute care, specific diagnoses, interventions, and reimbursement, go to the Fact Sheet & Resource page.
- Plagio Severity Scale
- Click here for a link to Tummy Time Tools from Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
- Visit the Pediatric Physical Therapy page to see articles of interest published in the Academy's peer-reviewed journal.