This 2-day course is intended for physical therapists who provide, or intend to provide, related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). The course highlights advanced practice issues, in addition to the foundational information. Sessions provide information on decision making and the delivery of physical therapy services to support the educational program for all students with disabilities.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand the primary federal laws and regulations pertaining to the education of children with disabilities under IDEA and the provision of related services.
- Make appropriate decisions regarding evaluation, examination, models of service delivery, evidence-based interventions, assistive technology, transportation, and fitness.
- Apply knowledge gained to influence and advocate for appropriate services for children with disabilities in their communities.
- Appreciate the role of the school-based physical therapist in preparing students and their families for the post-school transition.
- Apply the principles of data-based practice.
- Describe evaluation and intervention for students with autism spectrum disorders.
- Will there be a virtual option for people not comfortable traveling?
- Although there won't be a virtual option for Innovations in School-based Physical Therapy Practice 2021, the APTA Pediatrics Annual Conference (www.pediatricapta.org/annualconference) will likely be virtual and will have a school-based track and programming.
- Will you require vaccination to attend?
- Not required, but it is expected that attendees will be vaccinated as healthcare professionals.
- What protocols will be in place on site with regard to COVID?
- Course planners will adhere to current CDC guidelines re: gathering recommendations, distancing in the facility, masks, appropriate limits to registration, etc.
- What if I register and the situation changes before July?
- The registration date has been extended to July 15, and refund rules have been relaxed.
Accomodations & Travel
Courtyard Dallas Richardson at Spring Valley
1000 South Sherman Street
Richardson, TX 75081
Phone: (972) 235-5000
For reservations, please call Marriott Reservations at (800) 321-2211 or the hotel at (972) 235-5000 or click here to register online. You can also call Marriott Reservations at 1(800) 321-2211 or the hotel at (972) 235-5000 before Wednesday, July 7, 2021, and identify yourself as part of the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy group staying at the Courtyard Dallas Richardson at Spring Valley.
- Hotel Website
- $84 plus tax/night, breakfast included.
For details on transportation, parking, visitor information, provided food, and more, check out the brochure link above.