APTA Pediatrics has made the difficult decision to reschedule the 2020 Innovations in School-based Physical Therapy Course in Richardson, TX, to next year. New dates will be posted on this page when they're available. There will be no online version of this course.
This 2-day course is intended for physical therapists who provide, or intend to provide, related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). The course highlights advanced practice issues, in addition to the foundational information. Sessions provide information on decision making and the delivery of physical therapy services to support the educational program for all students with disabilities.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand the primary federal laws and regulations pertaining to the education of children with disabilities under IDEA and the provision of related services.
- Make appropriate decisions regarding evaluation, examination, models of service delivery, evidence-based interventions, assistive technology, transportation, and fitness.
- Apply knowledge gained to influence and advocate for appropriate services for children with disabilities in their communities.
- Appreciate the role of the school-based physical therapist in preparing students and their families for the post-school transition.
- Apply the principles of data-based practice.
- Describe evaluation and intervention for students with autism spectrum disorders.