This will be the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy (APPT)'s 13th annual school-based course. It highlights advanced practice issues, in addition to the foundational information provided in previous years. Sessions will provide information on decision making and the delivery of physical therapy services to support the educational program for all students with disabilities. Nationally recognized speakers will address federal laws, the provision of school-based services, and innovations in practice.
This 2-day course is intended for physical therapists who provide, or intend to provide, related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the primary federal laws and regulations pertaining to the education of children with disabilities under IDEA and the provision of related services.
- Make appropriate decisions regarding evaluation, examination, models of service delivery, evidence-based interventions, assistive technology, transportation, and fitness.
- Apply knowledge gained to influence and advocate for appropriate services for children with disabilities in their communities.
- Appreciate the role of the school-based physical therapist in preparing students and their families for the post-school transition.
- Apply the principles of data-based practice.
- Describe evaluation and intervention for students with autism spectrum disorders.
Division of Physical Therapy
University of Washington Seattle, WA
Friday's sessions will be held at Johnson Hall (JHN) room 102 and Mary Gates Hall (MGH), Room 389.
The buildings are across the street from each other allowing participants to change sessions.
Saturday's sessions are at JHN102.
Location details and parking information will be sent upon registration.
4140 Roosevelt Way, NE Seattle, WA
$219 (single/double) plus tax (currently 15.6%)
$20 more for each additional occupant in a triple or quad; includes a free breakfast.
- Call 866-866-7977 for reservations, indicate you are with the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
You may also go to www.staypineapple.com The group code is APTA.
Rooms must be booked by June 26. The number of rooms available are limited since many attendees prefer to find their own lodging.
University of Washington Housing
The closest airport is Sea-Tac Airport (SEA).