We hope to see you February 2-5 in San Antonio for APTA’s Combined Sections Meeting! APTA is following all CDC guidelines and protocols, and APTA Pediatrics is offering a terrific track of pediatric programming and more. Highlights include:
- REGISTER for the APTA Pediatrics Member Breakfast, sponsored by Rifton: Thursday, February 3, 6:30-7:30 am; Marriott Rivercenter Salons HKL. Breakfast will be grab and go for safety, but you can still enjoy networking with fellow members and APTA Pediatrics leadership. Advance registration is required to better plan for food and space.
- REGISTER for the APTA Pediatrics Member Business Meeting: Friday, February 4, 6:30-8:30 pm; Grand Hyatt Lone Star Salon ABC. Don’t miss this annual update on the initiatives of our Academy, plus our awards presentation. Advance registration is required to better plan for food and space. There will be a bylaws vote, so please attend (see below).
- Volunteer at the APTA Pediatrics Booth: If you have a free hour or two, we’d love to have your help at the APTA Pediatrics booth in the exhibit hall!
- Support “PT in the Community”: This initiative is raising funds to help the underserved, providing equipment to kids of San Antonio. APTA Pediatrics has pledged their support and you can donate as well!
- CSM Popup Store Open: The online store for CSM 2022 is open. Visit the booth at CSM to see samples!
- On-demand CSM: if you don’t travel for CSM, the on-demand option will be available March 1-31!
- Speaking of proposals…make sure to submit your proposal for the APTA Pediatrics Annual Conference 2022 in Portland, OR, by 2/10! We welcome your proposals for educational sessions, training workshops, and pre-conference courses.
Locations may change, so please check your CSM app to verify once you’re onsite!
APTA Pediatrics Proposed Bylaw Amendments: Member Vote at Business Meeting
History: At the 2021 APTA House of Delegates a historical vote occurred allowing Academy’s/Sections to be allowed to vote in the APTA House of Delegates (HOD). Each Academy/Section is allowed a Chief Delegate and a second delegate.
General implications of these proposed APTA Pediatrics bylaw amendments:
- Allow for a Chief Delegate to be elected in 2022 to a 3-year term.
- Set up a means for the Academy to elect a “Chief Delegate-elect” to be elected in 2024. Reasoning: Participating in the APTA HOD is a major undertaking. Having a means for a Chief Delegate-Elect will allow that individual to be mentored by the current Chief Delegate during the year (including the HOD meeting) prior to taking on the 3-year Chief Delegate term.
- The APTA Pediatrics President will serve as the Academy’s second voting delegate at the APTA HOD.
- One additional amendment is recommended to provide clarity to the voting process.
Specific proposed bylaw amendments.
Move to add in Article VII. Officers, Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Section 1, B, 1 a new duty for the president of the Academy.
g. Service as the second delegate at APTA House of Delegate meetings.
Move to add in Article VII. Officers, Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Section 6: Vacancies, B the word or Chief Delegate so the sentence would read.
B: In the event of a vacancy, due to resignation or failure to fulfill the duties, in the office of Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Director, or Chief Delegate the Board of Directors shall appoint a member in good standing to serve the unexpired portion of the term.
Move in Article IX. Delegates a replacement with the following:
ARTICLE IX. DELEGATES
Section 1: Requirements
A. An Academy Chief Delegate, Chief Delegate-elect and second delegate may not, in the same year, serve as a chapter delegate.
B. The Academy must be represented in the House of Delegates at least every third year.
Section 2: Election and Term
- The Chief Delegate shall serve a term of 3 years or until the election of their successor.
- The Chief Delegate-elect shall serve a one year term prior to assuming the duties of Chief Delegate. The Chief Delegate-elect shall be elected every 3 years.
C. The Chief Delegate and Chief Delegate-elect shall assume office at the close of the Academy’s business meeting.
PROVISO: The Chief Delegate will be elected in 2022 in a one-time election.
PROVISO: The Chief Delegate-elect will be elected in 2024.
Section 3: Duties of Delegates
A. To attend the annual and special meetings of the House of Delegates of the Association.
B. To present to the House of Delegates such matters as are approved by the Board of Directors, and/or the voting body.
C. The Chief Delegate shall notify Association headquarters of the name of the Chief-Delegate and second delegate as required by the Association and the Standing Rules of the House of Delegates.
Move in Article X. Election the additional of Chief Delegate-elect in the opening sentence so it would read:
The Board of Directors, Chief Delegate-elect and members of the Nominating and Elections Committee, shall be elected.
Move in Article X. Election, B. the following deletion:
- Voting for
Executive Committee and Board of Directorsshall be by mail or electronic ballot. When 2 or more candidates seek office, the candidate with the plurality of votes cast shall be declared elected. In the case of a tie, there will be a run-off election to determine the winner.
Reason: All elected positions are voted on by mail or electronic ballot. Not just the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
To see current APTA Pediatrics Bylaws,
To see a clean copy of the revised APTA Pediatrics Bylaws (including proposed amendments),