The Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) represents pediatric physical therapy and serves as a collective voice to support provision of the highest quality physical therapy services to children, their families, and adults with developmental disabilities. The Academy is home to 5,000 members who seek to transform society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience for all children, adults with developmental disabilities, and their families.
Benefits of Academy Membership
Many of the benefits of Academy membership are available right on this Web site! To log in to the Academy Web site, type your APTA member number in the first line and your last name (with first letter capitalized) in the second.
- Access to members-only information on the Academy's user-friendly Web site.
- Mailed copies of Pediatric Physical Therapy, the Academy's award-winning, Medline-listed quarterly journal. PPT is also accessible online and available via podcast.
- Monthly electronic newsletters to keep you appraised of the latest happenings in the Academy and the pediatric physical therapy community.
- Free membership in any or all of the Academy's seven special interest groups (Pediatric Sports-Fitness, Adolescents & Adults with Developmental Disabilities, Neonatology, School-based PT, Early Intervention, Hospital-based PT, and Academic & Clinical Educators).
- Information and advice from your peers on practice, reimbursement, and other issues via the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy Online Community. (For more info, visit the Healthcare Professionals page.)
- The latest reimbursement and legislative news.
- Discounts on registration for Academy courses, including the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy Annual Conference (APPTAC), and APTA's Combined Sections Meeting.
- Access to Section-sponsored funding grants to support clinical research in pediatric physical therapy in amounts up to $30,000.
- Access a variety of Academy scholarships and awards to help fund the PCS process, dues, and attendence at continuing education programs
- Discounts on Academy products.
- Use of the Academy's table-top booth for use at your chapter or local event. (For more info, contact the Academy Office .)
- Access to a variety of members-only fact sheets with helpful information on a variety of topics.
- An Academy Career Center that allows Academy members to create a (free) account to determine a highly targeted focus on employment opportunities; post resumes and job applications anonymously; create an advanced Job Alert system that notifies candidates of new opportunities matching their own pre-selected criteria; and access to industry-specific jobs often not seen on other job boards.
- Ability to participate in the Academy Mentoring Program
- Most importantly, you'll be part of a network of members - in your state, in your region, and across the country - and a part of a collective voice for pediatric physical therapy. The Academy network is there to help support your practice.
- There are many opportunities for you to get involved in leadership in one of our special interest groups or standing committees (Communication/PR, Education, Membership, Practice, Payment Policy & Advocacy, Research, and more), in an elected capacity (Executive Committee, Regional Directors, and Nominating Committee), as a state representative, as a pediatric speaker, as a mentor, or on any one of a number of task forces, subcommittees, and work groups based on your particular interest and expertise.
To join the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy, go to www.apta.org, and click "Join."
Benefits for PTAs
The Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy has many PTA members, just like you. We hope you will consider joining the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy. Download Information for PTA members
In addition to all the other Academy benefits outlined above, the Academy has several benefits that are of specific interest to PTAs, including:
If you have any additional ideas for benefits for PTA members, please contact the Academy Office.
Benefits for Students
The Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy has more than 300 student members. We hope you will consider joining the Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy.
Download Information for Students and New Professionals
In addition to all the other Academy benefits outlined above, the Academy has several benefits that are of specific interest to Students, including:
- A number of Academy awards, essay contests, and scholarships to specifically support students and recent graduates in attending conferences, supporting student research, and paying for membership
- Membership in the Student and New Professional (SNP) Group
If you have any additional ideas for benefits for Student members, please contact the Academy Office.